Shingles - Herpes Zoster
· We suggest a high quality whole food supplement, like VITAFORCE™ to correct nutritional deficiencies. This provides organic whole food necessary for the repair of skin tissues and fighting off the virus. VITAFORCE™ also boosts the immune system which may help in fighting off the Herpes Virus.
· Include in the diet brown rice, raw fruits and vegetables, and whole grains.
· Eat 3-6 cloves a day of raw garlic, the strongest anti-viral food known; it kills the Herpes Virus on contact. Appl Environ Microbiol, 62(11) November 1996, p.4238-4242.
· Flaxseed oil promotes healing of the skin and nerve tissue.
· Allow the affected area to be exposed to sunlight for 15 minutes each day.
Things to Avoid:
· All Animal Foods (they produce excess acids which corrode the lining of the stomach): dairy foods (milk, cheese, butter, cream, ice cream), fish, meat, chicken, turkey, eggs, fried and greasy foods, margarine, and all other processed foods and animal derived products from your diet. These foods are laced with chemicals, pesticides, and toxins as well as high levels of saturated fats which promote inflammation.
· Salt, tobacco, caffeine, strong spices, sodas, coffee, sugar, and refined white flour (breads, pastas, cereals- replace with whole wheat pastas, breads, and cereals). These products are extraordinarily destructive to the skin.
· Stress reduces the immune systems effectiveness in fighting off infection. Studies have found that people with shingles report having recently been through stressful periods more often than other people.
1) James F. Balch, M.D, Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," (1997)